Partnerships with Anoka Technical College

Anoka Tech students work with machines

Taking a Look at the Private Investors Who Make Anoka Tech Possible

Spencer Cox, Staff Writer

When people think about college the first things that come to mind are the instructors, professors, and faculty. Rarely do they consider the private investors needed to supplement a college’s income and to provide its students with the tools they need to succeed.

Steve Swain, a Co-Owner of CNH Machining in Anoka, and his business partner purchased CNH about three years ago and shortly afterward got involved with Anoka Technical College. He sits on the Advisory Committee and Foundations Board of the school. He’s also donated money, material, and equipment to help fund and support the machining programs that the school provides.

Swain has never worked with a college before but really enjoys the work he does with Anoka Tech. When asked what he thinks of the job placement in the program he supports, he says, “there is a very high demand that outweighs the supply right now.” He has observed signs outside of businesses in town saying “machinists for hire.” He also thinks that Minnesota has a shortfall in people interested in careers in manufacturing. This concern intersects with the fact that Minnesota has large steel and manufacturing industries.

One of the many machines used by Anoka Tech students

Apart from knowing most of the senior staff at Anoka Tech, Swain is also familiar with the CNC Design & Manufacturing Technology department. He states “They have a great machining program and a solid leadership team in general.” When asked about how Anoka Tech keeps their programs up to date, he says “they actively seek to remain current and up to date, and they do. The Advisory Board meets and talks fairly often just to make sure the programs stay current.” Swain has great faith in the Instructors at Anoka Tech and even more in the students who put forth the effort to attend and graduate. He, himself, employs a handful of current and former Anoka Tech students.

When asked if anything could happen to make him cut ties with Anoka Tech, his response was “It’s a good school, so I can’t see anything relevant that would have to happen to not be involved. It’s just an all-around good school is what I’m trying to say!”

Swain plans to continue his relationship with Anoka Tech. He also urges anyone with interest in the CNC manufacturing field to check out Anoka Tech and attend, since it’s such a great industry to get into right now.

About the Author

The Campus Eye Staff
The Campus Eye is published by students of the Cambridge and Coon Rapids campuses of Anoka-Ramsey Community College. Campus Eye articles in print and online represent the opinions of the writers and not the college or the student body.