By the River for 50 Years

School newspaper covers breaking ground for the new Fine Arts building in 1971.

Coon Rapids campus was the first community college to have permanent campus in the Twin Cities area. 

Tirzah Wiebolt                                                                                                                                        Staff Writer 

October marks the 50th anniversary of Anoka-Ramsey Community College moving into its current space on the Mississippi River. In October 1967 the Coon Rapids campus site became the first permanent site for a community college in the metro area. 

Front page of the campus newspaper covers moving into the new building in 1967.

After the first two years of having classes in the Centennial School District’s high school in Circle Pines, Anoka-Ramsey got its own building in Coon Rapids right on the river.

The college’s first name in 1965 was Centennial Campus of Metropolitan State Junior College. In 1967, the name was changed to Anoka-Ramsey Junior College.

In 1973, all community colleges dropped the “junior” off of their names and the school officially became Anoka-Ramsey Community College. 

About the Author

The Campus Eye Staff
The Campus Eye is published by students of the Cambridge and Coon Rapids campuses of Anoka-Ramsey Community College. Campus Eye articles in print and online represent the opinions of the writers and not the college or the student body.